So why start journaling? Isn’t it just the old ‘Dear Diary’ thing that little girls do? Far from it I promise you! (Not that there is anything wrong with Dear Diary!)
These days we can have such busy lives & busy minds, it seems only half of the stuff flying around in our heads is actually relevant & necessary!
Journaling is your chance to have a complete mind dump, without anyone else needing to understand or ever read it! This is such an incredible practice to do if you are feeling overwhelmed already & need to clear your head OR as a consistent practice to prevent you from becoming overwhelmed!
It’s also a great way to connect with yourself on a deeper level. It can be hard to listen & hear yourself & how you are REALLY feeling, if you are always focused on what is happening around you, what you have to do & where you have to be etc. It’s so important to stop & reconnect with YOU. After all, if you are aligned & happy, you have that much more to give to those around you. 💙
I started to journal myself a couple of years ago & it has made a huge difference to how I manage my thoughts & gain focus & clarity (Not just on the busy overwhelmed days, but every other kind of day too!). Now, whether I do it every day, or just a few times a week, I feel SO much better once I’ve done this practice!
Now, don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t as simple as just picking up a pen & paper! At first I had no idea what to write & the first couple of times I ended up writing a lot about the weather & what I had to eat that day. Riveting, I know!
What helped me get started!
- Journal prompts! – These are often a questions or statement that gets you thinking & gets you started! It’s really just a great way to get you writing your opinion or response to the journal prompt & from there you find yourself naturally writing more & delving deeper! There are a heap of journal prompts – check out my post ‘Top 50 Journal Prompts’ for some ideas!
- Starting by writing about my week, what I did, something that could have come up, something that annoyed me – everything! This always brings up more & more to write. Somehow you start off writing about your morning coffee & end up walking about the lady that was rude to you at the supermarket – you seriously just end up in the flow!
- Choose a journal & pen that you LOVE! Nope, I’m not joking! It’s so important that you feel like it’s a treat & not a chore to journal. Having stationary that I loved really helped set the scene for me & make it enjoyable.
- Let it all out! Literally. Don’t worry so much about it making sense, being super neat, or being award winning writing, that’s not the point of this exercise. You will be surprised but how much flows out of you if you just let yourself go & write write write!
- Have snacks, a drink & be comfortable! Again, this may sound super simple, but you want this to be a time that you enjoy & are ‘there to stay’ for a bit. Even if you don’t have a lot of time, you want to be completely present in this moment.
- Be ready for possible emotions to come up. Journaling can be a powerful way to gain clarity & release emotional energy that has been stuck within you.
Do you journal? Or will you give it a try? Comment below – I would LOVE to hear how you go!